If it doesn't jump off the page and grab the reader, its not going to make it. Agents and publishers read query letters looking for something different. Readers surf Amazon finding stories that grab them. It comes down to the premise.
Two questions need to be asked: Has it been done before? Is it different from the others? Tired premises are like cliches. Everyone has heard them before. Here's a few I can think up.
- Divorced, alcoholic detective solves murder.
- Astronauts crash on mars.
- Vampire invades small rural town.
- Divorced, alcoholic detective solves murder with help from an angel.
- Astronauts crash on mars and find subterranean world that parallels earth.
- Vampire invades small rural town and runs for mayor.
Ron D. Voigts is the author of the Penelope Mystery series. His latest book, Penelope and The Movie Star, is still available until the end of March for 99 cents.